Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Coke, Dr. Pepper, or Jesus…Which is the ‘Real Thing?’


The past two weeks have proven to be amazing, yet exhausting.  God did amazing things at camp and VBS.  We watched miracles take place and witnessed kids kneeling before the Lord on their hands and knees (boys and girls!)  If you have spent any length of time with 4th-6th graders, you would understand why I had tears flowing down my cheeks as I observed every child at camp kneel before God simultaneously as the director asked us to listen to the voice of the Holy Spirit.  It was beautiful!  A moment I will never forget!

We had over 200 kids attend VBS all week.  Many were invited who had never attended church.  Over eight kids with special needs were included in every activity and Bible story.  Each child was loved on and discipled.  It was so exciting to meet and greet some of these new families on Sunday morning.  What a true blessing!

I desire to focus primarily on the beautiful moments of the past two weeks; however, I do want to acknowledge that exhaustion is a reality.  Jesus set the example of creating a place of solitude, especially after some of the most amazing miracles were performed through His power.  He walked a perfect life but He was a human being, like you and me.  He longed for a time of refreshment with His Heavenly Father.  He knew when to retreat.

Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."  Matthew 11:28-29 (The Message)

Directly after Sunday services, I prayed with my sweet and gracious family.  I packed my bags and left for a few days of solitude, rest, and quiet time with my Creator.  My first evening, I was craving a Coke.  I do not enjoy any other drink (will settle for Pepsi) but Coke is my soft drink of choice.  I placed my coins into the vending machine and pushed the “Coke” button, all to realize that it is sold out.  Thankfully, there is another Coke button.  I gently press it…all to find my worst nightmare.  It is sold out as well.  I decide that Sprite will quench my thirst.  I gently press the Sprite button and to my despair, a Dr. Pepper arrives in the bottom tray.  My heart sinks!  I hate Dr. Pepper!  I feel a moment of frustration and then quickly ask the Lord to forgive me.  I decide that I am not letting anything ruin my time with the Lord.  This was the first of many circumstances that I did not plan but the Lord had another plan for my time with Him.

This particular instance served as a life lesson.  I walked back to my hotel room.  I decided (being the frugal person I am) that I am not letting this drink go to waste.  I take a sip of the Dr. Pepper.  It is not too bad after all! 

This was a beautiful illustration of the thirst we should feel for our Heavenly Father.  We should long to spend time with Him.  I was so thirsty at that moment that I would settle for a drink that I previously detested.  I want to thirst for Jesus in the same way.  Jesus aches to spend each and every moment of our day with Him.  He longs for us to talk to Him…but most importantly, to be still and know that He is God!  He wants us release the guilt of feeling the need to always “do” and simply “be.” 

I am enjoying time with my Heavenly Father this week and I encourage you to “thirst” for Him like none other.  When you feel depleted, take time to just “be.”  Trust that He is in control of all things.  He will rejuvenate our souls.  The result: passion is ignited and vision is cast when we remain in His presence and listen to His small, still voice.  Allow Jesus to quench your thirst!  His living water will flow through you.

“As a deer gets thirsty for streams of water, I truly am thirsty for You, my God.”
Psalm 42:1 (CEV)

6 Comments:

At July 24, 2012 at 11:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are praying that you get the most out of your time away. Loved reading this post.....and loved that you drank a Dr. Pepper even more!

 
At July 24, 2012 at 6:45 PM , Blogger JedediahB said...

Blessings!~

 
At July 26, 2012 at 5:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very thought-provoking! I laughed when I thought about how our church administrator would have been overjoyed by the Dr. Pepper dropping out instead of a Coke!

So glad you had some time away to reflect and rejuvinate. Rest is hard to find unless you rest in Him.

 
At July 26, 2012 at 6:26 AM , Blogger Cailey Dumler said...

Yes, I actually thought about our church administrator and many others on staff who LOVE Dr. Pepper...I simply am not in agreement with this "love." Coke will always be my soft drink of choice. It was one of many life lessons for me the past few days. I thank God for His creativity and how He chooses to speak into our lives.

 
At July 26, 2012 at 6:53 AM , Blogger Kelli Williams Wommack said...

So glad you got away to be with Jesus! He is always in pursuit of us... we just need to relinquish to that pursuit. P.s. I would have gladly drank your Dr. Pepper!

 
At July 26, 2012 at 7:00 AM , Blogger Cailey Dumler said...

I thought of you, Kelli...and many others around me who love Dr. Pepper. I don't think it will ever be my soft drink of choice...but love how God speaks in creative ways! It was a wonderful time with my Maker.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home