Friday, July 6, 2012

Pursuing Patience with Purpose


A few nights ago, my husband and I decided we were long overdue for a date night.  Sometimes, these date nights are as simple as doing a little shopping together.  As we walk around, it offers us the opportunity to just “be” and converse uninterrupted.  I am convinced that God had more than a “date night” in store for us this very evening.  He wanted to use us to brighten a total stranger’s day.

As we enter the first retail store, their computer is down so we wait in a long line.  The good news:  we are not in a rush.  We wait patiently.  The line is also long because the lady behind the counter is the only lady on staff for the evening.  The customer in front of us learns that she has endured a difficult day.  We listen as she shares that her dog was struck by a vehicle a few hours ago.  As we wait patiently (ok, maybe patience was being tested a bit), the telephone rings and she answers.  It is her husband bearing the bad news that her dog is going to be put to sleep while she is on shift.  She does not even receive the opportunity to say good-bye to this precious and beloved pet.  She leans on the counter and begins to sob.  At that moment, I wanted to grab an apron and longed to step behind the counter to relieve her and begin helping customers.  In the real world, I knew this was impossible.  I knew at that moment, all that was within my power was prayer.  So that is what I did.

Within moments, she pulled herself together.  She had no choice.  She was the only staff member on duty.  Her perseverance was inspiring!  My heart ached for her.

We finished our transaction and looked at each other.  It was as if we could read each other’s minds.  We walked down the sidewalk and purchased a “Chill” frozen yogurt gift card.  We knew this would not heal her heart but surely she would feel a sense that someone truly cared.  We quickly walked back to this store and there was a longer line than even before.  We did not care.  We knew God had us here for a purpose.  It was at this moment, I felt compelled to place a $20 bill inside the gift card.  As she saw us, she asked, “Did I do something wrong?”

I replied, “You could not be more wrong.  We are here to bless you.  Thank you for your smile in the midst of tragedy.  We have a small gift for you.”  In the beginning, she refused to accept.  I explained I was not taking “no” for an answer.  Finally, she graciously accepted.  She gave me a hug twice.  Her eyes welled up with tears as I shared that we are praying for her.

I was moved with emotion as I walked out with tears streaming down my face.  “Thank you, Heavenly Father…for your many blessings.  Thank you for placing me in a long line to take a moment to bless this sweet lady.  I may never witness the fruit firsthand and that is more than alright.  I pray You allowed her to see a glimpse of You within us at that very moment.”  This was my prayer to God.

I encourage you to be aware of who God places in your path today.  Ask Him how He desires to have you bless them.  It may simply be a smile.  Sometimes, that is the most meaningful blessing one can receive.  Sometimes, a smile brings HOPE.  Jesus is our ultimate HOPE.  What fruit of the Spirit will you bear today so that Jesus shines through you?

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
                                                            Galatians 5:22-23 (NIV)

3 Comments:

At July 6, 2012 at 3:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post...and I loved experiencing that moment with you.

 
At July 14, 2012 at 5:59 AM , Anonymous Kaye Chalwell said...

This is a beautiful post and a great reminder of how we can bless others. So glad I just started to follow you on twitter! Kaye

 
At July 14, 2012 at 6:10 AM , Blogger Cailey Dumler said...

Thank you, Kaye! I appreciate your kind words. It was definitely a gentle reminder for me that God speaks in a tender whisper. If we are listening intently, we will not miss out on these unique opportunities to serve as His hands and feet! I look forward to following you on twitter as well! God bless you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home