Friday, May 18, 2012

H2O or H2H?


Recently, the Holy Spirit has been whispering, “Slow down.  You are going over the speed limit in life.”  He has been speaking through devotionals, speakers, authors, friends, counselors, and yes, His small, still voice.  Sometimes I feel as if I am a NASCAR racer.  There is a reward for the first person to finish that race!  Why is it that we treat busyness as a sign of success?  This question has been posed several times lately…through authors and speakers.  Craig Jutila acknowledges in the book he and Mary Jutila co-authored, “Jesus moved from the chaos of the crowd to quiet comfort; He went from a hectic place to a healthy pause.” (Pg 111 From Hectic to Healthy) Mark 6:46 reads, “After leaving them, he went up on a mountainside to pray.”  Although Jesus was perfect, He needed solitude and time to refuel…time with His Heavenly Father.  This was His living water….His H20.  Let’s face it, when we drink H2O, we feel replenished and reenergized.  A healthy lifestyle also replenishes and reenergizes.  In contrast, a hectic lifestyle depletes and diminishes.

The book, From Hectic to Healthy, (H2H) written by Craig and Mary Jutila is one method God has gotten my attention.  Craig and Mary utilize several acronyms that creatively help the reader to remember the techniques to living a balanced and healthy lifestyle.  Craig and Mary do not simply teach techniques.  They open their hearts and souls to the reader.  They authentically share how they are moving toward a healthy life.  They state emphatically, “This is not a destination, rather a journey.”

The Jutilas’ begin with “Understanding SPIN. (Seasons, Priorities, Isolation, & Neglect.  I especially loved the chapter on priorities.  Their authenticity made me realize that the priorities I desired were not the priorities I was living each day.  My desired priorities were not aligned with my daily routine. 

The section “Setting PACE served as a catalyst for change in my life.  PACE represents Practice Soul Care, Act Accordingly, Come Together, & Enjoy Life.  Wait!  It is acceptable to simply enjoy life?!  I am not sure I can define that phrase without attaching it to productivity, ministry, making a difference, etc.  Mary and Craig speak of laughter being like medicine.  I realized that I must leave room for laughter.  As my kids would say, “Lighten up, Mom!” 

If you struggle with feeling like you are a NASCAR racer or a gerbil running inside the wheel and there is no STOP ahead, I encourage you to read this book.  You will not be disappointed!  I would venture to say that an H2H life is just as vital to our soul as H2O is to our body. 

What is your obstacle keeping you from living a healthy life?  What is the ONE change you can implement to bring you closer to a healthy lifestyle?  Remember, “it is not a destination, it is a journey.” (Craig & Mary Jutila)

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” 
(Matthew 11:28-30)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home